A woman was rescued by police officers on patrol after she was trapped inside a burning house.

Officers from the Metropolitan Police spotted smoke coming from an upstairs window of the house in Headstone Road on Sunday, January 15 shortly after 3pm.

After calling the London Fire Brigade, police tried to get into to the property.

Their initial attempts to force open the front door were unsuccessful, and the officers noticed that the fire, which had broken out in a first floor rear room, was intensifying.

Taking immediate action, police smashed a downstairs window with a baton. Two officers climbed inside - one injured his hand but continued with the rescue.

But the officers found themselves unable to reach the rest of the house due to a locked lounge door.

Another officer outside the house spotted a woman trapped inside who was unable to open the door to free herself.

Police finally got inside after throwing a concrete block and a glass hammer to smash a patio door.

The entire downstairs area was now full of smoke, but the officers were able to locate the woman and guide her outside.

Harrow Times: Smoke from the house fire in Headstone Lane, Harrow, that left a woman in hospitalSmoke from the house fire in Headstone Lane, Harrow, that left a woman in hospital (Image: Danni McJannett-Smith)

The fire brigade arrived on the scene and had extinguished the fire by 4.36pm.

The woman was taken to hospital by the London Ambulance Service after suffering from smoke inhalation. She was still at hospital on Tuesday (January 24), but her condition is not life-threatening.

Inspector Bernie Cryan of the North West Command Unit, which covers Harrow, said: “What the officers have done here is just one example of the brave work officers across London are doing day in, day out.

“Without thinking about their own safety they have taken immediate steps to get into that property and bring the woman to safety.

“It is clear that without their swift and selfless actions this situation could have been a lot worse.”

Four fire engines and 25 firefighters from Stanmore and Wembley fire stations attended the scene in Headstone Road in Harrow.

Part of the first floor of the property was damaged in the blaze.

At the time, heavy traffic was reported after Headstone Road was closed to allow emergency crews to work at the scene.

The cause of the fire is not yet known. An investigation is under way.