Italy international Diego Fabbrini unable to create the spark needed as a Watford XI are held at Wealdstone

Watford, who named Diego Fabbrini in their starting line-up, were unable to break down Wealdstone's defence. Picture: Action Images

Watford, who named Diego Fabbrini in their starting line-up, were unable to break down Wealdstone's defence. Picture: Action Images

First published in Local Sport
Last updated
by

A Watford development side were held to a goalless draw at Wealdstone tonight in front of the club’s owner Gino Pozzo and head coach Beppe Sannino.

Watford named eight professionals in a 4-3-3 formation and also French midfielder and trialist Kevin Tapoko, who is a 20-year-old who plays for Belgian Second Division side Dessel Sport.

Jonathan Bond was in goal for the Golden Boys behind a back four of scholar Alfie Young, Jorell Johnson, Reece Brown and Josh Doherty.

Luke O’Nien was in the holding role in a midfielder trio which included Connor Smith and Tapoko. Alex Jakubiak was at the top of the attacking trio, with Diego Fabbrini and scholar Tom Rosenthal either side.

Whilst veteran striker Scott McGleish led the line for Wealdstone, who had former Hornets Jonathan North and Elliott Godfrey in their line-up.

The Stones were playing the better football early on and Johnson, who was captaining Watford, was caught out of position when Scott McGleish was able to lift the ball narrowly over the bar.

The home side also created another couple of good opportunities following slick moves but on both occasions they failed to capitalise with mishit shots.

Fabbrini went off injured after around ten minutes but was back on following eight minutes of treatment.

Watford struggled to create much of note in the first half but when they did it was Tom Rosenthal who looked one of the most likely to create.

He crossed for Smith, who was unable to direct goalwards when offside, forced ex-Watford goalkeeper Jonathan North into a routine save and also struck a powerful effort just over the bar from around 20 yards out.

Both teams went close with free-kicks. The Stones’ Jack Mills tried to catch out Bond with a well-struck effort and O’Nien’s shot went over the wall but wide of the post, with North rooted to the spot.

Scott McGleish also forced Bond to save from outside the area with a snapshot but like the free-kick, it was relatively comfortable.

There were few chances early into the second period but then Wealdstone had a penalty appeal turned away following O’Nien’s tackle on Tom Collins, moments before Tom Hamblin had a header go over the bar from a corner.

The Golden Boys’ first opening came when the ball ran kindly for Jakubiak after Fabbrini’s dribble and whilst the ball went over North, it was cleared from close to the line.

The Hornets were controlling the possession much better in the second period but the Stones were defending well.

Jakubiak was Watford’s brightest spark in the second half. The striker did well to create space before smashing a powerful effort over and wide and the first-year professional also tested North with a low shot which was well held.

Watford substitute Mahlondo Martin had an excellent run and shot from distance and moments later Jakubiak fluffed the chance to score when the ball was laid back by Dennon Lewis.

Wealdstone: North (Carter 77); Mills, Hamblin (Parker 64), Cronin, Okimo; Godfrey (McCluskey HT), Martin (Hickey 35); Wright (Hammond 64), Collins, Pidgen (Bentley 75); McGleish (Malcolm).

Subs not used: Turner, Little.

Watford: Bond; Young, Johnson, Brown, Doherty (Martin 64); Smith (Stewart 71), O'Nien, Tapoko (Lewis 79); Rosenthal, Jakubiak, Fabbrini (Folivi 70).

Subs not used: Rowley, Hall, Choi.

Comments (11)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

10:02pm Wed 23 Jul 14

londomollari says...

Is there anyone else out there who thinks Fabbrini will go out on loan again---particularly if Deeney stays?
Is there anyone else out there who thinks Fabbrini will go out on loan again---particularly if Deeney stays? londomollari
  • Score: 14

10:10pm Wed 23 Jul 14

KeithMercer says...

Hopefully will go out on loan, a very frustrating player, plenty of talent but just not physically or mentally strong enough.
Hopefully will go out on loan, a very frustrating player, plenty of talent but just not physically or mentally strong enough. KeithMercer
  • Score: 15

10:15pm Wed 23 Jul 14

Oldhorn says...

londomollari wrote:
Is there anyone else out there who thinks Fabbrini will go out on loan again---particularly if Deeney stays?
From what I saw of him tonight, it looked as though he's found his level. Desperately light weight and really didn't look interested, almost as though he thought he was above this sort of game.

A loan at a decent team would do him good I'm sure. Can't see how he's going to get a sniff in the first team at Watford, even if Deeney does go (which by the way I think he will...and with my heartfelt thanks and best wishes).

Looking forward to seeing a slightly stronger team at Borehamwood tomorrow.
[quote][p][bold]londomollari[/bold] wrote: Is there anyone else out there who thinks Fabbrini will go out on loan again---particularly if Deeney stays?[/p][/quote]From what I saw of him tonight, it looked as though he's found his level. Desperately light weight and really didn't look interested, almost as though he thought he was above this sort of game. A loan at a decent team would do him good I'm sure. Can't see how he's going to get a sniff in the first team at Watford, even if Deeney does go (which by the way I think he will...and with my heartfelt thanks and best wishes). Looking forward to seeing a slightly stronger team at Borehamwood tomorrow. Oldhorn
  • Score: 5

10:25pm Wed 23 Jul 14

grahamwfc says...

Oldhorn wrote:
londomollari wrote:
Is there anyone else out there who thinks Fabbrini will go out on loan again---particularly if Deeney stays?
From what I saw of him tonight, it looked as though he's found his level. Desperately light weight and really didn't look interested, almost as though he thought he was above this sort of game.

A loan at a decent team would do him good I'm sure. Can't see how he's going to get a sniff in the first team at Watford, even if Deeney does go (which by the way I think he will...and with my heartfelt thanks and best wishes).

Looking forward to seeing a slightly stronger team at Borehamwood tomorrow.
We are in trouble if our first team is only slightly stronger FFS
[quote][p][bold]Oldhorn[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]londomollari[/bold] wrote: Is there anyone else out there who thinks Fabbrini will go out on loan again---particularly if Deeney stays?[/p][/quote]From what I saw of him tonight, it looked as though he's found his level. Desperately light weight and really didn't look interested, almost as though he thought he was above this sort of game. A loan at a decent team would do him good I'm sure. Can't see how he's going to get a sniff in the first team at Watford, even if Deeney does go (which by the way I think he will...and with my heartfelt thanks and best wishes). Looking forward to seeing a slightly stronger team at Borehamwood tomorrow.[/p][/quote]We are in trouble if our first team is only slightly stronger FFS grahamwfc
  • Score: -11

10:48pm Wed 23 Jul 14

bornyellow says...

just a kick-about warm-up.....means not much as pre seasons never do...cant wait to kick off ..
just a kick-about warm-up.....means not much as pre seasons never do...cant wait to kick off .. bornyellow
  • Score: -3

11:00pm Wed 23 Jul 14

Oldhorn says...

grahamwfc wrote:
Oldhorn wrote:
londomollari wrote:
Is there anyone else out there who thinks Fabbrini will go out on loan again---particularly if Deeney stays?
From what I saw of him tonight, it looked as though he's found his level. Desperately light weight and really didn't look interested, almost as though he thought he was above this sort of game.

A loan at a decent team would do him good I'm sure. Can't see how he's going to get a sniff in the first team at Watford, even if Deeney does go (which by the way I think he will...and with my heartfelt thanks and best wishes).

Looking forward to seeing a slightly stronger team at Borehamwood tomorrow.
We are in trouble if our first team is only slightly stronger FFS
Who said anything about a first team being slightly stronger Graham?

All I said was I'm looking forward to seeing a slightly stronger team tomorrow. This will no doubt include some younger players, more experienced players and will be mixed around, as is the way in friendly games.

Of course our first team will be significantly stronger than the basically under 18 team sent out tonight.

FFS
[quote][p][bold]grahamwfc[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Oldhorn[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]londomollari[/bold] wrote: Is there anyone else out there who thinks Fabbrini will go out on loan again---particularly if Deeney stays?[/p][/quote]From what I saw of him tonight, it looked as though he's found his level. Desperately light weight and really didn't look interested, almost as though he thought he was above this sort of game. A loan at a decent team would do him good I'm sure. Can't see how he's going to get a sniff in the first team at Watford, even if Deeney does go (which by the way I think he will...and with my heartfelt thanks and best wishes). Looking forward to seeing a slightly stronger team at Borehamwood tomorrow.[/p][/quote]We are in trouble if our first team is only slightly stronger FFS[/p][/quote]Who said anything about a first team being slightly stronger Graham? All I said was I'm looking forward to seeing a slightly stronger team tomorrow. This will no doubt include some younger players, more experienced players and will be mixed around, as is the way in friendly games. Of course our first team will be significantly stronger than the basically under 18 team sent out tonight. FFS Oldhorn
  • Score: 9

12:19am Thu 24 Jul 14

Goldenboy1960 says...

My concern is the 4 3 3 system that they are playing. It will not allow Vydra to play off Deeney and get in behind the CH's. What a waste that would be and may make the players unhappy?
My concern is the 4 3 3 system that they are playing. It will not allow Vydra to play off Deeney and get in behind the CH's. What a waste that would be and may make the players unhappy? Goldenboy1960
  • Score: 14

6:09am Thu 24 Jul 14

WatfordManiac says...

Good to see Beppe giving the youngsters a chance. Fabbrini wont get a game for watford and the French trilalist is coming from a low club. Not even the belgium first division is world renowned!
Good to see Beppe giving the youngsters a chance. Fabbrini wont get a game for watford and the French trilalist is coming from a low club. Not even the belgium first division is world renowned! WatfordManiac
  • Score: 3

6:20am Thu 24 Jul 14

Glenn Roeder says...

Oldhorn wrote:
grahamwfc wrote:
Oldhorn wrote:
londomollari wrote:
Is there anyone else out there who thinks Fabbrini will go out on loan again---particularly if Deeney stays?
From what I saw of him tonight, it looked as though he's found his level. Desperately light weight and really didn't look interested, almost as though he thought he was above this sort of game.

A loan at a decent team would do him good I'm sure. Can't see how he's going to get a sniff in the first team at Watford, even if Deeney does go (which by the way I think he will...and with my heartfelt thanks and best wishes).

Looking forward to seeing a slightly stronger team at Borehamwood tomorrow.
We are in trouble if our first team is only slightly stronger FFS
Who said anything about a first team being slightly stronger Graham?

All I said was I'm looking forward to seeing a slightly stronger team tomorrow. This will no doubt include some younger players, more experienced players and will be mixed around, as is the way in friendly games.

Of course our first team will be significantly stronger than the basically under 18 team sent out tonight.

FFS
Don't worry Oldhorn I knew exactly what you meant, as would anyone else who are not into knee-jerk responses.
[quote][p][bold]Oldhorn[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]grahamwfc[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Oldhorn[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]londomollari[/bold] wrote: Is there anyone else out there who thinks Fabbrini will go out on loan again---particularly if Deeney stays?[/p][/quote]From what I saw of him tonight, it looked as though he's found his level. Desperately light weight and really didn't look interested, almost as though he thought he was above this sort of game. A loan at a decent team would do him good I'm sure. Can't see how he's going to get a sniff in the first team at Watford, even if Deeney does go (which by the way I think he will...and with my heartfelt thanks and best wishes). Looking forward to seeing a slightly stronger team at Borehamwood tomorrow.[/p][/quote]We are in trouble if our first team is only slightly stronger FFS[/p][/quote]Who said anything about a first team being slightly stronger Graham? All I said was I'm looking forward to seeing a slightly stronger team tomorrow. This will no doubt include some younger players, more experienced players and will be mixed around, as is the way in friendly games. Of course our first team will be significantly stronger than the basically under 18 team sent out tonight. FFS[/p][/quote]Don't worry Oldhorn I knew exactly what you meant, as would anyone else who are not into knee-jerk responses. Glenn Roeder
  • Score: 6

9:07am Thu 24 Jul 14

Goldentrue1 says...

grahamwfc wrote:
Oldhorn wrote:
londomollari wrote:
Is there anyone else out there who thinks Fabbrini will go out on loan again---particularly if Deeney stays?
From what I saw of him tonight, it looked as though he's found his level. Desperately light weight and really didn't look interested, almost as though he thought he was above this sort of game.

A loan at a decent team would do him good I'm sure. Can't see how he's going to get a sniff in the first team at Watford, even if Deeney does go (which by the way I think he will...and with my heartfelt thanks and best wishes).

Looking forward to seeing a slightly stronger team at Borehamwood tomorrow.
We are in trouble if our first team is only slightly stronger FFS
it was a friendly FFS!
[quote][p][bold]grahamwfc[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Oldhorn[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]londomollari[/bold] wrote: Is there anyone else out there who thinks Fabbrini will go out on loan again---particularly if Deeney stays?[/p][/quote]From what I saw of him tonight, it looked as though he's found his level. Desperately light weight and really didn't look interested, almost as though he thought he was above this sort of game. A loan at a decent team would do him good I'm sure. Can't see how he's going to get a sniff in the first team at Watford, even if Deeney does go (which by the way I think he will...and with my heartfelt thanks and best wishes). Looking forward to seeing a slightly stronger team at Borehamwood tomorrow.[/p][/quote]We are in trouble if our first team is only slightly stronger FFS[/p][/quote]it was a friendly FFS! Goldentrue1
  • Score: 1

1:14pm Thu 24 Jul 14

Maclanx says...

How many matches did the owners watch live last season?
How many matches did the owners watch live last season? Maclanx
  • Score: -1

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree