Get involved: send your pictures, video, news & views by texting Harrow Times to 80360, or email us
Harrow East (House of Commons)
Mr Bob Blackman MP (Conservative)
Surgery: 209 Headstone Lane
Surgery Tel: 020 8421 3323
MP Since - 2010 Majority - 3,403 Born - 26/04/1956. Married.
Education - Preston Manor High School. University of Liverpool (President of the Students Union).
Previous Occupation - Worked in sales for Unisys. Worked for BT in Sales Management, Sales Training and latterly Regulatory Compliance Manager for BT (1992-2004).
Personal Overview - Experienced local politician who successfully gained the Harrow East seat in 2010. A former Greater London Authority member for Brent & Harrow seat until 2008, when he unexpectedly lost to the Labour challenger. Within London he had also reached the last 4 in the Conservative selection process for the 2000 Mayoral elections. Had been involved in Local Government at Brent Council for over 16 years prior to his election to the GLA, which is likely to have given him a strong local profile. One of his priorities as a Councillor has been to improve relations with local ethnic minorities in Brent.
Political History - Councillor, Brent BC (1986-) (Preston Ward), has been Conservative Group Leader (1990-), Council Leader (1991-96). Candidate for Brent South at the 1992 General Election, Bedford & Kempston in 1997, Brent North (2005). GLA candidate for Brent & Harrow in 2000. GLA Member for Brent & Harrow (2004-08). Member of the Budget Committee (2004-08). Deputy Chairman of the Economic Development, Culture, Sport and Tourism Committee (2005-08). Member of the London Fire and Emergency Planning Authority. Former Conservative Group Whip. MP Harrow East (2010-). Member of the Communities & Local Government Select Committee (2010-). Member of the Backbench Business Committee (2012-).
Characteristics - Has been a Governor at Preston Manor High School. Former Captain of Sudbury Court Cricket Club 4th XI and 3rd XI and was Fixture Secretary. Manager of St. Nicholas Football Club (1980-86), League Winners (1985-86), Cup Winners (1984-85). Has held a Season Ticket with Tottenham Hotspur FC since 1979. His wife has also been a Brent Councillor.
Business Tel: 020 7219 7082
Interests: Health,Local Government
- Communities & Local Government Committee (Member)
- Backbench Business Committee (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group against Antisemitism (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Bridge Group (Vice Chairman)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group for Building Societies and Financial Mutuals (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on Cancer (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on Childcare (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group for Justice for Equitable Life Policy Holders (Chairman)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on Heart Disease (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Home Safety Group (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on the Irish in Britain (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on Learning Disability (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group for Long Term Conditions (Secretary)
- All-Party Parliamentary Media Group (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Motor Group (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on Outsourcing and Shared Services (Chairman)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on Primary Care and Public Health (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Racing and Bloodstock Industries Group (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on Religious Education (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Scout Group (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on Sickle Cell and Thalassaemia (Secretary)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on Smoking and Health (Secretary)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on Social Care (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on Speech and Language Difficulties (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group for Transplantation (Member)
- Azerbaijan Group (Secretary)
- Indo-British Group (Treasurer)
- All-Party Britain-Israel Parliamentary Group (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on Oman (Member)
Harrow West (House of Commons)
Mr Gareth R Thomas MP (Labour)
Surgery: 132 Blenheim Road
Surgery Tel: 020 8861 6300
MP Since - 1997 Majority - 3,143 Born - 15/07/1967. Single.
Education - Hatch End High School; Lowlands College; University College of Wales, Aberystwyth; Kings College London; University of Greenwich.
Previous Occupation - Teacher.
Personal Overview - He has experience gained from the Education profession, as well as having been involved in Local Government, and associated bodies. He is a member of the Co-operative Party and the SERA, and in addition has an interest in Educational matters. Had his majority cut back in 2005 in what must be seen as a marginal seat, having started from an uncertain position as Labour's least likely winner at the previous General Election. Depsite this he retained his seat at the 2010 General Election.
Political History - Councillor Harrow Borough Council (1990-97). Honorary Secretary, Parliamentary Labour Party Trade & Industry Committee (2000-04). Vice-chair, Parliamentary Labour Party Culture, Media & Sport Committee (2000-04). Member of the Environmental Audit Select Committee (1997-99). PPS to Charles Clarke as Minister of State, Home Office (1999-2001), Party Chairman (2001-02) & Secretary of State for Education (2002-03). Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for International Development (2003-08), Parliamentary Under Secretary, Department for Business, Enterprise and Regulatory Reform (2007-08). Minister of State for Business, Enterprise and Regulatory Reform and International Development (Minister for Trade, Investment and Consumer Affairs) (2008-09). Minister of State, Department for International Development (2009-10). Shadow Minister for the Treasury (2010). Shadow Minister for International Development (2010). Shadow Minister, Department for Business, Innovation & Skills (2010-11). Shadow Minister for the Cabinet Office (2011-). Deputy Shadow Minister for London (2013-).
Characteristics - Education experience and Local Government involvement. An alternative email address is firstname.lastname@example.org
Business Tel: 020 7219 4243
Interests: Energy,Education & Training,Health,Social Security,Renewable Energy
- All-Party Parliamentary Betting and Gaming Group (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on HIV and AIDS (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group for Long Term Conditions (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on Malaria and Neglected Tropical Diseases (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on Overseas Development (Member)
- Road Passenger Transport Group (Associate Group) (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Commons and Lords Rugby Union Football Club Group (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Rugby Union Group (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Scout Group (Chairman)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on Social Tourism (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group for Tamils (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group for Albania (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on Poland (Member)
- Republic of Sudan and South Sudan (Associate Group) (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on Tanzania (Member)
London (European Parliament)
Ms Marina Yannakoudakis MEP (Conservative)
MEP Since - 2009 Born - 16/04/1956. Married, 3 children.
Education - Brunel University, BSC in Government, Politics and Modern History. Open University, MA in Education.
Previous Occupation - Financial Director of a family business (pan-European).
Personal Overview - Elected to the European Parliament from third place on the London Conservative Party list. Has been involved running a small business for over 23 years with experience negotiating in in Europe on behalf of her UK clients. She has campaigned to reduce regulation on business, reducing EU waste and fraud and on the sensible managing of migration. She also has experience raising funds for charity, as a former Chair of the Mayor of Barnet's Charity Appeal 2005/06 raising money for the mental health charity MIND.
Political History - Councillor, London Borough of Barnet. Has been Deputy Chairman of Chipping Barnet Conservative Association. MEP London Region (2009-). Membe rof the Delegation to the EU-Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia Joint Parliamentary Committee (2009-). Substitute member of the Delegation for relations with Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Serbia, Montenegro and Kosovo (2009-). Member of the Women's Rights and Gender Equality Committee (2009-). Member of the Environment, Public Health and Food Safety Committee (2009-).
Other Information - School Governor. She was a Chairman of the Federation of Conservative Students at Brunel University and Chairperson for Communications on it's Student Union Executive. In her spare time she plays the saxophone and produces her own sculptures which she donates to charity.
Intergroups - N/a.
Interests: Business & Finance,Small Business,Local Government
- Environment, Public Health & Food Safety (Member)
- Women's Rights & Gender Equality (Member)
Information supplied by Goveval. Send feedback to email@example.com