Wealdstone lacked a cutting edge in their 1-0 home defeat National League rivals against Aldershot Town in midweek, writes Jack Hobbs.

But Shots took a huge leap in their bid for survival at Grosvenor Vale as Tahvon Campbell’s third goal since joining on loan from Rochdale in March was enough to seal all three points.

The first chance of the night fell to Campbell who deftly brought down a searching long ball and rocketed a shot over the crossbar into the stands on the 10-minute mark.

And Shots threatened again as Corey Jordan flicked an effort over the bar after a long throw-in had trickled through a mass of bodies.

But Wealdstone started to wake up after captain Jack Cook skipped past a defender and tried to curl an effort past Luca Ashby-Hammond with the outside of his boot, which was stopped well.

Stones began to find their rhythm and tested the keeper again as Lewis Simper held the ball up well before laying it off to Olufela Olomola whose first-time effort forced Ashby-Hammond into another strong stop on 30 minutes.

Despite Wealdstone’s dominant spell, Aldershot nearly took the lead with a towering header from Jordan which forced Sam Howes into a stunning save to keep the scoreline blank.

Wealdstone were inches away from snatching the lead on the stroke of half-time after a great corner routine found Olomola free in the six-yard box.

The striker must have thought he’d scored when his effort had seemingly beaten the keeper but a heroic clearance off the line from Tyler Cordner denied Stones the opener.

Aldershot started the second half with a spark as Campbell rattled the crossbar with a header from close range within minutes of the restart.

Sonny Blu Lo-Everton went closest for Wealdstone after cutting in from the left, skipping past Joe Partington and hammering a powerful effort just over the bar in the 58th minute.

However, Aldershot finally broke the deadlock with 23 minutes left as Ryan Glover broke on the right and tried to guide his effort into the bottom left corner, with Howes getting down well only to push the ball into the path of Campbell who slotted home.

Wealdstone attempted to pull themselves level but with just three goals in their last seven games the lack of killer instinct in front of goal was evident.

A looping header from Charlie Barker and an optimistic overhead kick from Lo-Everton in the 88th minute wasn’t enough to beat Ashby-Hammond, condemning Stones to a seventh game without a win.

“It’s another game I can’t believe we haven’t scored in from the positions we found ourselves in” said Stones boss Stuart Maynard.

“I feel a little bit sorry at the moment for the group because it’s ending a little bit on a low when realistically what they’ve achieved this season has been quite incredible.”

After a third successive loss, which saw Stones drop to 14th, substitute Alex Dyer dismissed claims Wealdstone were already ‘on the beach’ ahead of their game with Dorking Wanderers on Saturday.

“I hate that shout, it’s such an easy one to do,” said Dyer.

“I reject that notion wholeheartedly and I find it quite offensive. It’s questioning our professionalism and our hunger and desire to do well and win like we have done all season. The boys have given everything and nothing’s changed.”