Wealdstone came from behind twice to claim a stunning 4-2 victory at fellow promotion contenders Havant & Waterlooville to maintain their seven-point lead at the top of National League South.

Having fallen behind early on at Westleigh Park, Stones levelled midway through the first half thanks to Michee Efete, only to concede again in the opening stages of the second period. But the visitors responded superbly to claim a vital victory thanks to Moses Emmanuel’s brace and a Danny Green goal.

Manager Dean Brennan made two changes to the starting line-up which defeated Welling United the previous weekend, with midfielder Jacob Mendy slotting in for Jake Sheppard at left-back and Ashley Charles coming into midfield for the suspended Michael Phillips.

Wealdstone had the worst possible start to the match, conceding in only the fourth minute as Andy Drury’s corner was met by Dean Beckwith, whose effort was adjudged to have crossed the line by the linesman.

The Hawks dominated the early stages and were unfortunate not to have increased their lead further, with Jonah Ayunga proving a constant threat for the home side.

As the first half progressed, the visitors began to settle into the match, commanding more possession and producing more cohesive attacking play.

The Stones were duly rewarded for their vigour in the 25th minutes as their full-backs combined superbly to equalise. Left-back Mendy whipped in a teasing cross and man of the moment Efete, who has been in fine form, leapt to power a bullet header past Ross Worner.

Spurred on by this goal, Wealdstone began to gather further momentum, with Billy Clifford starting to dominate proceedings in midfield and start attacks for the visitors.

The match continued to develop into a pulsating contest, but Havant gaining the upper hand for a second time two minutes after the restart when Drury curled in a free-kick, which was met with a towering header from Danny Kedwell at the far post.

Galvanised into action after surrendering another goal, Wealdstone increased their intensity and duly profited in the 58thminute when drove in a low cross for Emmanuel, who coolly slotted past Worner for his first goal for the club to equalise.

The Stones then stepped up another gear, with danger man Emmanuel causing havoc for the Hawks’ defence. The striker completed his brace in the 75thminute when the influential Clifford won the ball, drove forward, and then squared to Emmanuel, who clinically converted past Worner.

Wealdstone were firing on all cylinders and went further ahead when Green popped up in the box to poke home the Stones’ fourth goal in the 81st minute.

The Hawks rallied in the remaining ten minutes to reduce the deficit, but resolute and tenacious defending from their opponents, along with excellent game management, secured an outstanding away victory for the table toppers.

Wealdstone return to action tomorrow when they travel to Staines Town in the Middlesex Senior Cup.