A late Danny Green winner sent Wealdstone into the quarter-finals of the FA Trophy in a hard-fought and dramatic 2-1 win over a valiant Warrington Town side.

Green opened the scoring midway through the second half from the penalty spot after Eddie Oshodi went down in the box. Joseph Piggott equalised in the 82nd minute and looked to be sending the tie to a Tuesday night replay in Cheshire but Yellows keeper Anthony McMillan spilled Green’s 88th minute effort into his own net to secure a place in tomorrow’s lunchtime draw.

Bobby Wilkinson was forced into several changes from the side that started in the previous week's victory over Weston-super-Mare. Taofiq Olomowewe, Glenn Wilson, Ricky Wellard, Mustafa Tiryaki and Ashleigh Artwell all returned to the starting XI, with Marcus Johnson-Schuster, Ian Gayle, Iffy Allen and David Pratt all cup-tied, while Abo Eisa had departed for Shrewsbury Town on deadline day.

It was the visitors who made the stronger start, with William Hayhurst stinging the palms of Jonathan North and Jamie McDonald having a goal disallowed for offside inside the opening 15 minutes.

This prompted Stones boss Wilkinson into making a first-half tactical change with Dan Fitchett partnering Tiryaki up font as defender Olomowewe made way. The impact was almost immediate.

Fitchett almost grabbed a goal just before half time when played through by Green, but McMillan rushed out quick to deny the forward.

Warrington almost took a spectacular lead early in the second half when Sean Williams’ 25-yard half-volley was acrobatically tipped over by North.

They went even closer soon when after Tony Gray had been denied twice by North from point-blank range, he eventually beat the Welsh stopper, only this time he was thwarted on the line by Sam Cox.

Stones took advantage of those interventions and went in front after 64 minutes. Oshodi went down following a clumsy challenge by Jack Higgins and Green sent McMillan the wrong way from 12 yards in cool fashion.

Warrington battled the whole way throughout and grabbed a deserved equaliser with eight minutes of normal time remaining. A rare mistake at the back allowed Piggott a clear run on goal and he slotted past North with the calmest of finishes having been on the pitch for less than a minute.

However, there was to be one more twist in this enthralling cup tie. Green made good space for himself but hit a fairly innocuous effort at goal from the edge of the box, McMillan got down well to stop it, but it looped up and over the keeper, hitting him on the back and rolling into the empty net behind to send the Stones fans, management and players into a frenzy and into the quarter-finals.

Wealdstone: North, Olomowewe (Fitchett 33), Okimo, Wilson, Oshodi, Wellard, Whichelow, Cox, Tiryaki (Goodger 81), Green, Artwell. Subs not used: Bonfield, Day, Sellers.