Two men were taken to hospital following a blaze caused by a "catastrophic failure of a battery pack on an e-bike".

Four engines and 25 firefighters were scrambled to Daintry Close in Harrow last Friday (May 31) at 7.47am.

The ground floor of the two-storey terraced house was fully destroyed by fire and most of the first floor was also damaged.

A small part of the roof of the affected property and also a neighbouring property were damaged by the blaze, London Fire Brigade said.

One e-bike was also damaged and removed from the property before the arrival of the firefighters and they had the blaze under control by 9.23am.

Four people left the property before crews from Stanmore, Harrow, and Northolt arrived.

Two men were taken to hospital by the London Ambulance Service.

"The fire is believed to have been caused by the catastrophic failure of a battery pack on an e-bike," a London Fire Brigade spokesperson said.

"This fire demonstrates how quickly e-bike fires can spread and the disastrous damage that can be caused.

"E-bikes and e-scooters are London's fastest-growing fire risk. If you own an e-bike or e-scooter, there are a number of things you can do to help keep yourself and those around you safe.

"Converting pedal bikes into e-bikes using DIY kits bought online can be very dangerous. They can pose a higher risk of fire.

"Get a professional or competent person to carry out the conversion and make sure to buy a battery from a reputable seller and that it is not second-hand. "

They said many fires have involved second-hand vehicles or the bike has been modified using parts bought online and warned there is currently not the same level of regulation of products for e-bikes and e-scooters sold via online marketplaces or auction sites.

Advice given was to use the correct charger when charging an e-bike or e-scooter as mismatching the charger increases the risk of fire.

It's also important not to overcharge and to unplug the charger once it's completed charging, the spokesperson added, while people should never charge an e-bike or e-scooter unattended or whilst you're sleeping and don't charge it on an escape route.

"Instead, charge or store the device outdoors or in a shed," they added. "If this is not possible, make sure the device is in a room where you can shut a door and contain a fire."