Four children were forced to flee a flat fire caused by smoking materials not being put out safely.

35 firefighters and five fire engines from the London Fire Brigade were called to Alexandra Avenue at 2.27am today (February 13).

The fire service spent more than two hours tackling the blaze at a second-floor flat.

Seven people, including four children, left the building before the Brigade arrived and were treated at the scene by London Ambulance Service crews.


By the time it was put out at 4.47am it had damaged part of the four-roomed flat and also part of the roof of the block of flats.

Fire crews from Northolt, Harrow, Wembley and Ruislip fire stations attended the scene.

A London Fire Brigade spokesperson said the fire was believed to have been accidental and caused by “the unsafe disposal of smoking materials”.

They added: "We'd rather you didn't smoke at all, but if you are a smoker, it's absolutely vital you ensure your cigarette is completely out when you've finished smoking it.

"If you don't, you risk causing a fire which could not only destroy properties but also cost you your life."

For the latest crime news in North London, join our North London Crime Watch group on Facebook