Two men have been convicted after a machete attack which left a victim with a brain injury that he will never fully recover from.

Keiano Gooden-Josephs, 19, of Harrow Road and a 17-year-old from Harrow were convicted of wounding with intent at the Old Bailey on January 31.

The two were behind an attack on July 9, 2019 which left victim Douglas Sepouo, 21, from Wembley stabbed in the chest.

The court heard how Gooden-Josephs arrived at South Kenton station at around 1.35pm on the day and joined the 17-year-old at Windermere Grove at 1.38pm.

They walked towards Allonby Gardens, South Kenton, and was followed into Preston Park.

Both defendants were armed with machetes and a witness said they saw the men attack Mr Sepouo as he tried to run away and defend himself.

Another member of the public at the park intervened the fight and shouted at the men to stop.

The two defendants ran away, but the 17-year-old was later stopped by police in Carlton Avenue East, along the side of Preston Park as they were going towards the scene.

Harrow Times:

Police found a cut to the right arm of the 17-year-old who was then treated in hospital and arrested on suspicion of causing Great Bodily Harm.

Mr Sepouo was in very serious condition and medical staff had to open his chest at the scene to restore his heartbeat to normal.

He was then taken to a central London hospital in critical condition, where he was treated for numerous injuries, including defensive wounds to his hands.

Because of the low blood pressure and cardiac arrest, he suffered from brain injury which doctors believe he will never fully recover.

Because of the seriousness of the attack, detectives from the Serious Crime Command (Homicide) investigated.

Officers conducted a search of the park and one machete was located which had apparently been carried by Mr Sepouo.

Two machete sheaths were found, indicating that at least one further weapon had been removed from the park.

Harrow Times:

Keiano Gooden-Josephs

As a result of CCTV Gooden-Josephs was identified as a suspect and he was traced to a taxi travelling in NW7 and arrested on 16 July 2019.

Detective Inspector Jamie Stevenson, from Specialist Crime North, said: “This appalling attack has left a young man with catastrophic injuries from which he is unlikely to ever fully recover.

“His family have been left devastated and struggling to come to terms with the reality of Douglas’ injuries, I can only hope that the conviction of the persons responsible will help them in some small way.

“This savage attack occurred in a park being used by young families.

“Instead of playing on a summer’s day, families had to deal with a man being pursued and repeatedly stabbed. I would like to thank all those members of the public who went to Douglas’ aid and tried to help him.

“We need the support of communities to tackle violent crime and we urge anyone who may have information about those carrying weapons to tell us about it, so we can tackle violence together and protect the lives of young people.”