A cadet that tried to use his skills to save the 20-year-old that was fatally stabbed on the London Underground, called the tragedy ‘horrific.’

Segal Thapa, 17, a cadet from the 201 Harrow detachment, attempted to save the life of Tashan Daniel, the 20-year-old who was fatally stabbed in Hillingdon Station on September 24.

Mr Daniel, who was on his way to the Emirates stadium in excitement to see Arsenal play Nottingham Forest, but was instead stabbed at Hillingdon Station at around 4pm in what Metropolitan Police called an “unprovoked attack.”

Paramedics tried to save his life, but he was sadly pronounced dead at the scene, just shortly after his father Chandy arrived at the station to find medics attempting to save his life.

The victim had purchased a ticket to watch the football game as a birthday present to himself, after he just turned 20 on September 22.

Just a few carriages away was Mr Thapa, who was returning to his home in Northolt after attending college. The cadet was initially unaware of what was happening nearby him, as he assumed the tube was being held underground due to signal failures.

He recalled: “A lady walked in and said someone had just got stabbed, at first I thought it was just a joke.

“So, I took off my jacket and my bag to check what had happened and I saw a few blood splatters, which I thought could be a nosebleed. But then I saw the pool of blood, I was horrified.”

While around four adults were attempting to aid Mr Daniel, including a doctor, Mr Thapa initially felt he couldn’t do much and instead “froze.”

The cadet said: “Then I thought about what I was taught in the cadets and my natural instincts kicked in.”

To make himself useful, he decided to go upstairs and look for a defibrillator. When he went to the Transport for London (TfL) staff to ask for a defibrillator, he was confused to find out that they did not have one there in case of emergencies.

While he’s not a doctor himself, he knew from his first aid training that this could have been of help. He said: “It kind of made me angry, why wouldn’t they have one. Anything could happen in the tube, what if someone passes out. Maybe if it was there, there could have been a better chance in helping him.”

Instead he found two panicked women who were in shock. While he couldn’t physically help out with Mr Daniel at the time, he felt he could at least make an impact to the chaos around the station. He guided them outside, gave them advice and support to sit down and relax and also provided water to help stay hydrated from the shock.

After twenty minutes, staff with a defibrillator did arrive at the scene, but it was unfortunately too late to help the bleeding victim.

Mr Thapa did say that had he known about the incident beforehand and was closer to the carriage, he would have tried to be more hands-on with helping the victim, but he knew that there was a large enough crowd around him already. He is however thankful for the confidence and initiative which he’s developed by being a cadet.

He added: “I’m so grateful for the cadets, if it was not for them, I would not have been able to do anything.”

The cadet also confidently replied that if he would ever be around a situation like this again, he’d just as willingly try help out in any way he can.

The cadet leader for the Harrow detachment, Captain Ryan said he wasn’t surprised in the heroics shown by his cadet. He said: “He didn’t have to do any of that, but he stayed on and did everything he could.

“We do a lot of first aid training and we keep telling people don’t be afraid of getting involved with your knowledge to assist a casualty. I’m very proud in Segal and how he pushed himself to do the best he could.”

Captain Ryan has also confirmed that his cadet will receive all the necessary counselling and support needed after he witnessed the incident.

While Mr Thapa continues his studies at college particularly in vehicle mechanics, he hopes to later join the army and continue the family legacy, many of whom being ex-servicemen.