An armed teenager who robbed three boys of their mobile phones has been sentenced.

The 17-year-old from Harrow, who was 15 when he carried out the robberies in 2019, robbed two boys at knifepoint in Croxley Green, while a third boy was targeted in Chesham in Buckinghamshire.

The teenager, who cannot be named for legal reasons, was found guilty of robbery at St Albans Magistrates' Court on January 14 and given a referral order.

The 17-year-old, who had never been convicted of any crimes before, will now attend a panel which will decide the best course of action for him.

Detective Constable Rob King, from the Three Rivers Local Crime Unit, said: "The defendant is a first-time offender and the referral order is a form of restorative justice, which is designed to support him in moving away from criminality and make better life choices.

"We hope he uses this opportunity to reflect on the seriousness of his actions and understand why they were unacceptable."

The teenager's crime spree began on March, 20, 2019, when he robbed a schoolboy of his mobile and headphones in Mill Lane, near Croxley Station. The defendant had shown the victim a knife in his jacket pocket during the incident.

Two days later, he returned to the same street, robbing a 12-year-old on his way home from school of his mobile phone. The defendant showed a knife in his jacket pocket to frighten the victim, who ran away.

Both victims were shaken but neither was physically injured.

Read more: Boys, 15 and 12, robbed at knifepoint

On March 24 2019, a 16-year-old was threatened outside the Elgiva Theatre in Chesham and ordered to hand over his mobile which he did.

Detectives launched an investigation into the robberies and worked out the suspect had been travelling along the Metropolitan Line via Croxley station.

On March 25, they lay in wait for their suspect and arrested him as he left the train.

The boy's home was searched and police discovered and seized a number of mobiles, including one belonging to the boy robbed in Chesham.

He was later charged.

Det Constable King added: "At the time of the offences, the community was understandably concerned about what had happened.

"We finally have a court result for all three victims who were left understandably shaken by what had happened, and they have now been given closure."