Nearly a dozen fire engines attended a blaze yesterday which stretched across 70 acres of grassland.

Hertfordshire Fire & Rescue says crews spent just over four hours putting out the fire which happened in fields off Oxhey Lane.

The fire service received a call at 3.50pm on Wednesday afternoon to Carpenders Park after being told approximately 70 acres of grassland was on fire.

In total, eleven fire engines were sent to the scene.

The fire spread to two fields, with pockets of flames visible, while smoke drifted across the fields as the fire began burning itself out in places.

Previous story: 'Avoid the area'. Fire crew tackle field blaze

Harrow Times:

A fire engine in the fields off Oxhey Lane yesterday afternoon. Credit: Neal Storhaug

Harrow Times:

Smoke drifted across the fields. Credit: Brian Scott

The fire was extinguished just after 8pm but following inspections of the area, another fire was found deep within a tree stump just after 11pm.

Hertfordshire Fire & Rescue understands that the fire was accidental.

Brian Scott, who rang the fire brigade yesterday, revisited the fields today.

Much of the grass was burnt and tree stumps were charred.

Harrow Times:

The grassland pictured on Thursday. Credit: Brian Scott

Harrow Times:

It had been a challenging job for fire crews because some of the flames, towards Merry Hill, would have been difficult to reach.

A gate also reportedly had to be cut to allow firefighters access into a field.

Oxhey Lane was closed in both directions while crews dealt with the fire and members of the public were warned to avoid the area.

The fire service said: "Hertfordshire Fire and Rescue were called at 3.50pm yesterday (August 5) to approximately 70 acres of grassland on fire in Oxhey Lane, Carpenders Park.

"Eleven appliances attended the fire from stations including Watford, Hemel Hempstead, Rickmansworth, Garston and St Albans, using eight hose reels to extinguish the fire which spread to two fields and was thought to be accidental.

"This incident closed at just after 8pm but continued inspections of the area revealed another fire at 11.06pm located deep within a large tree stump which crews extinguished using one hose reel.

"The incident was closed at 11.43pm."