The son of former Watford FA Cup finalist Lee Sinnott has died in hospital after he was assaulted on a night out.

Police in Nottinghamshire have launched a murder enquiry after footballer Jordan Sinnott, 25, was found unconscious with a suspected fractured skull in the early hours of Saturday morning.

Mr Sinnott was pronounced dead shortly before 6pm on Saturday.

Police were initially called to the Dominoe Cross pub in Retford after reports of a fight between two groups of people in the car park late on Friday night.

Harrow Times:

Harrow Times:

Police activity in Retford, Nottinghamshire. Photos: PA

At around 2am on Saturday, police were called by paramedics to Market Place in Retford.

Mr Sinnott was on the floor unconscious being treated by paramedics. He was rushed to hospital where he was put on a life-support machine, but he later died, surrounded by his family and friends.

Harrow Times:

A tribute left in Retford town centre Photo: PA

His father is Lee Sinnott, a football manager and former player, who made 78 appearances for Watford, under the management of Graham Taylor.

The defender scored twice in a spell with the Hornets between 1983 and 1987, starting in the 1984 FA Cup Final defeat to Everton in front of a crowd of 100,000 at Wembley Stadium.

Jordan Sinnott's club Matlock Town FC have paid tribute to their midfielder.

Harrow Times:

Flowers are left at Matlock Town's football ground. Photo: PA

The club tweeted: "You weren't just a footballer, you were our friend and brother. You gave us incredible memories and scored your first career hat-trick in your final game for the club.

"Rest easy Jordan, we love, miss and will never forget you."

Footballers, clubs, and associations have also sent their condolences.

Detectives investigating his death are appealing for information.

Three men have been arrested in connection with the incident, including two men both aged 21 who were arrested on suspicion of murder on Sunday, police said.

A 27-year-old man who was arrested on suspicion of grievous bodily harm shortly after the incident remains in police custody, the force added.

Detective Inspector Justine Wilson from Nottinghamshire Police said: “Mr Sinnott’s death is a sad and significant development in this investigation. Our thoughts remain with Mr Sinnott’s friends and family, who our specialist officers are continuing to support at this incredibly difficult time.

"Our investigative team’s focus will remain on identifying those responsible and bringing them to justice and, while we have made one arrest at an early stage of our enquiries, we are appealing to anyone who was in Retford town centre late last night and in the early hours of this morning to come forward."

Two other men were also injured during the incidents, with a 27-year old man sustaining a suspected broken nose and a 44-year old man receiving a suspected broken jaw.

Anyone who witnessed either incident or believes they may have captured them on dashcam or mobile phone footage is asked to call Nottinghamshire Police on 101, quoting incident number 78 of 25 January 2020.