National League rivals Barnet, Dagenham & Redbridge and Wealdstone all had reasons to celebrate on the opening day of the 2023-24 season.

Barnet ran out 3-2 winners over Hartlepool United at The Hive, while Wealdstone came from behind to earn a 2-1 win over York City.

And Daggers snatched a point in a 1-1 draw at Altrincham thanks to a 98th-minute goal from Harry Phipps.

Altrincham 1 Dagenham & Redbridge 1

Harry Phipps headed home from Josh Hare's corner to earn Daggers a last-gasp share of the spoils at Moss Lane, after Chris Conn-Clarke's 80th-minute goal looked like winning it for the hosts.

Daggers boss Ben Strevens named summer signings Tom Eastman, Jake Hessenthaler, Frank Vincent, Josh Rees and Lewis Page in his starting line-up at Altrincham and saw his side force a succession of early corners.

Conditions made things hard for both teams, but Daggers went close midway through the first half when Myles Weston hit a post after combining with Page.

Hare was booked for the visitors on 35 minutes, with Lewis Banks shown a yellow card for the hosts just before the interval.

And Elliot Justham had to produce a good save to deny Regan Linney in the fourth minute of injury time and ensure the scoreline remained blank.

Daggers had a let-off when an unmarked Lewis Baines sent his effort over from a corner on the hour, but Eastman then sliced a great chance wide from a corner at the other end on 64 minutes.

Charley Kendall came on for Vincent to make his debut, but Daggers should have gone behind on 74 minutes as Justham denied Conn-Clarke with an incredible save and saw Linney blaze the loose ball over.

And after Sydney Ibie replaced Weston, the visitors were then inches away from taking a remarkable lead as Inih Effiong hit the crossbar from fully 40 yards.

Matthew Kosylo's curling effort beat Justham but went wide, before Conn-Clarke broke the deadlock on 80 minutes.

Ibie had an effort cleared off the line as Daggers forced numerous chances from a late set-piece, but they got their reward as Phipps converted late, late on.

Kendall then almost won it with virtually the last kick of the game, but Daggers had to settle for a point.

Dagenham & Redbridge: Justham, Hare, Eastman, Effiong, Vincent (Kendall 67), Hessenthaler, Rees, Weston (Ibie 75), Page (Lawless 85), Phipps, Ling. Unused subs: Strizovic, Tavares.

Attendance: 1,779 (including 115 Daggers fans).

Barnet 3 Hartlepool United 2

Goals from Adebola Oluwo, Nicke Kabamba Danny Collinge earned Bees all three points at The Hive, before some late drama.

Dean Brennan's side broke the deadlock midway through the first half when Harry Pritchard scuffed the ball towards the far post from a free-kick and Oluwo bundled it over the line.

But Laurie Walker had to produce a superb double save at close range to deny the visitors a quick response, before Kabamba headed wide from a corner on the half-hour mark.

Ben Coker fired over from a free-kick, before Dale Gorman was booked for the hosts, who had penalty shouts for handball turned down in stoppage time and saw Kabamba force a great save from Joel Dixon before the half-time whistle.

Hartlepool had a shot deflected over soon after the restart, but Kabamba doubled Barnet's lead on 54 minutes when heading home at the far post from a Collinge cross.

Reece Hall-Johnson fired just wide of the far post after a great run, but Collinge headed home a third after a well-timed run to the far post midway through the half.

Hartlepool hit back eight minutes from time through Jake Hastie and they were awarded a penalty in the fourth minute of stoppage time.

The spot-kick was saved by Walker, with Umerah converting the rebound to cut the gap to one, but the Bees held on.

Barnet: Walker, Hall-Johnson (Wynter 87), Coker, Kabamba, Okimo (Potter 64), Collinge, Gorman (Barratt 72), Kanu, Pritchard, Oluwo, Brunt.
Unused subs: Senior, Stead.

Attendanc: 1,909.

Wealdstone 2 York City 1

Jaydn Mundle-Smith's 88th-minute goal earned Stones the points after Max Kretzschmar's second-half penalty had cancelled out York's opener.

Jed Ward and Tahvon Campbell made their debuts for Stuart Maynard's men at Grosvenor Vale, as an opening day crowd of 1,805 watched on.

And Ward made a vital save to deny Daniel Pybus an opener for the Minstermen just past the half-hour mark.

Lenell John-Lewis shot just wide soon after, but the visitors opened the scoring on 38 minutes when Dipo Akinyemi found the net.

Ashley Charles was booked just before the break, with Stones making a change for the second half as Kretzschmar replaced Tarryn Allarakhia.

And the hosts were gifted a penalty on 58 minutes when a York player handled the ball, with Kretzschmar stepping up to convert from the spot.

Charlie Clayden had his name taken, with teammate Charlie Barker then heading just over from a corner.

And Obiero was narrowly off-target from range before Callum Howe was dismissed for York and Kretzschmar set up Mundle-Smith for the winner late on.

Wealdstone: Ward, Cook, Barker, Charles, Dyer, Mundle-Smit, Allarakhia (Kretzschmar 46), Olomola (Adarkwa 90), Obiero, Clayden, Campbell (Andrews 74).
Unused subs: Baptiste, McGregor.

Attendance: 1,805.