Despite a second-half comeback, Wealdstone lost their fifth National League South game of the season on Saturday as Oxford City ran out 3-2 winners.

Oxford took a two-goal lead through Joe Oastler and Elliot Benyon, but they were pegged back by Jacob Mendy and Adam Coombes before Finn Tapp headed in the winner for the Hoops.

Dean Brennan made no changes to the side that beat Slough Town on New Year’s Day, meaning Harry Isted kept his place on goal after his loan from Luton Town was extended.

Isted was forced into a save within the first two minutes when Kevin Berkoe took aim for the bottom corner, but he got down well to make a strong stop.

A fairly flat first half played out as both sides took a while to work each other out. The best chance Wealdstone could muster was through Ross Lafayette, who curled wide after Billy Clifford had chested the ball down for him.

Oxford had done well to hold the league leaders to that point and they were rewarded just before the break when Zac McEachran’s corner was met by Oastler who headed in.

Hopes of getting back into the game for Wealdstone took a big hit minutes after the half-time interval as Benyon’s effort flew into the bottom corner to double Oxford’s lead.

However, similar levels of brilliance were present in the Stones’ first of the afternoon. Clifford floated a ball over the top and Mendy met the ball sweetly on the volley to halve the deficit.

Then, just seven minutes later, it was delight for Wealdstone again as they levelled the game when Coombes headed in his first goal for the club at the near post.

Momentum was on Wealdstone’s side now but they did not make the most of it. Oxford edged their way back into the game and 10 minutes after levelling, the visitors were behind again/

Another corner delivery from McEachran was this time met by Tapp and he planted his header into the top corner.

Both Coombes and Dennon Lewis had chances to level again in the closing stages, but an equaliser wasn’t found and Oxford held on for the full haul of points.

Defeat sees Wealdstone’s lead atop the division cut to four points after Bath City’s win over Billericay Town. Next up for Brennan’s side is a visit to Billericay tomorrow night, kicking off at 7.45pm.