Wealdstone crashed out of the FA Trophy third qualifying round with a shock 3-2 home defeat against Southern Premier Central side Royston Town on Saturday.

Brandon Adams and Josh Castiglione gave the visitors a surprise 2-0 lead at the break.

Stones boss Dean Brennan wrung the changes in the second half and they got themselves on level terms with goals from Ross Lafayette and Jerome Okimo.

However, six minutes from time Adams struck his second and Royston’s third to send the underdogs through to the first round.

After suffering defeat at Hampton & Richmond Borough in their last outing, Brennan remained loyal to his players, making just one change, with top scorer Lafayette the only change to the starting line-up.

The Stones nearly got off to the perfect start when a defensive mistake let Dennon Lewis through on goal but his low effort hit the outside of the post with five minutes on the clock.

They were made to pay as Royston went ahead in the 11th minute when Luke Warner-Eley whipped in a teasing cross to an unmarked Adams who nodded across goal and into the far corner.

The visitors maintained their attacking intent and added a second on the half-hour mark through Castiglione’s powerful drive into the roof of the net following Matt Bateman’s flick on.

Brennan brought on forwards Jacob Mendy and Dejon Noel-Williams at half-time and new signing Jack Jebb shortly after in the hopes of turning the tide in Wealdstone’s favour.

The hosts were eventually given a route back into the game on the hour when Lewis took on his man and crossed for Lafayette, who volleyed in from close range.

Royston almost restored their two-goal advantage minutes later when Bateman headed onto Castiglione, who rounded Stones keeper Jonathan North and squared the ball back to Bateman for an open goal, but midfielder Michael Phillips did superbly to make a last-ditch challenge.

Wealdstone continued to pile on the pressure and were level 11 minutes from time as Billy Clifford’s corner was punched straight to Okimo, who smashed the ball home through a crowded penalty area.

With the Stones pushing for the winner, they were hit by a sucker punch in the 84th minute when Claudio Ofosu crossed to Adams and he kept his composure to grab the winner for Royston.

Wealdstone were scheduled to be in action on Tuesday night in the Middlesex County Cup against Hayes & Yeading United but the match was postponed due to a waterlogged pitch.

The fixture has been re-arranged for Tuesday, December 3 at 7.45pm.

The Stones return to league action on Saturday when they host Concord Rangers at the Vale.