Wealdstone suffered defeat on Saturday as they were beaten 3-1 at home by Dulwich Hamlet in the National League South.

Two goals from Connor Hunte had Hamlet two goals to the good at the break, and Dipo Akinyemi’s penalty rounded things off before a late Stones consolation by Freddie Grant.

Wealdstone looked the brighter side from the outset and created two good opportunities within the first minute of the game. Daniel Green was denied by Preston Edwards and, from the resulting corner, he denied Jeffrey Monakana before David Pratt poked wide.

Hamlet, though, took the lead massively against the run of play in the 19th minute when Hunte cut onto his left foot from the right wing and fired low into the far corner beyond Jonathan North.

The hosts responded well and looked likely to find an equaliser, and they almost found it when Christian Smith combined well with Grant who nodded down for Pratt, but the striker again fired wide.

Dulwich began to look more dangerous in the closing stages and after North produced an excellent save from Akinyemi’s header, he could do nothing about Hunte’s stunning free-kick four minutes later that doubled the lead.

Hamlet rode the pressure in the second half and were awarded a penalty on the counter attack, which was coolly converted by Akinyemi to effectively end the game.

The Stones did finally get on the scoresheet late on when Grant fired home a wonderful strike into the top corner, but the damage was already done and Hamlet took the points.

Wealdstone had no such problems on Monday though, and they kept their play-off hopes alive with an excellent win away at fourth-placed Chelmsford City.

Daniel Green gave the visitors the lead at the break, and early second half goals from Tarryn Allarakhia and an Adrian Cascaval own goal kept them in the hunt for seventh spot.

Wealdstone broke the deadlock when Grant backheeled into the path of Green, and he hit a stunning half-volley with the outside of his foot that sailed over Nathan McDonald.

The away side only needed five minutes of the second half to double their lead, and it came through Allarakhia when his left-footed shot deflected in from outside the area.

Wealdstone were putting their opponents to the sword and, incredibly, they grabbed a third six minutes later when Green’s cross was comically volleyed into his own net by Cascaval.

With the points safely in the bag, the Stones can now go into the final game of the season on Saturday at home to Hemel Hempstead Town knowing that a win could see them clinch the final play-off spot, as long as results for Billericay Town, St Albans City and Dartford go their way.