Wealdstone’s inconsistent form continued as they were defeated 3-2 on the road at National League South leaders Torquay United on Saturday.

Kalvin Lumbombo-Kalala and Jamie Reid put the in-form hosts two goals ahead by the 36th minute, with Jeffrey Monakana pulling one back before half-time, and Jerome Okimo was also on the scoresheet for the Stones but only after Ruairi Keating had extended Torquay’s advantage.

As expected, the Gulls started on the front foot and went close in the early stages through Asa Hall’s header, and Reid’s effort moments later was close but not close enough to trouble Jonathan North.

An excellent counter attack from Bobby Wilkinson’s side in the 23rd minute almost handed them a surprise lead as Monakana led the three-on-one one attack, but Danny Green struck the post when the ball was played to him on the right.

Not long after, Torquay made them pay when Keating broke down the left and his cross was volleyed home by Lumbombo-Kalala.

A quickfire second followed, this time Reid being allowed too much time to slip his 26th goal of the season beyond North and double the hosts’ lead.

Five minutes later though, the Stones were back in it when Green whipped in a cross after playing a short corner, and Monakana got on the end of a half-clearance to just about get the ball over the line.

The visitors came close to finding their equaliser shortly after the re-start when Jake Sheppard’s defence-splitting pass found Rhys Tyler, and his teasing cross was just about turned away by Jamie Sendles-White.

Just as Wealdstone were beginning to get a grip on the game though, Torquay restored their two-goal cushion when Keating headed in at the near post from a corner.

The Gulls were then handed the opportunity to seal the game when Tyler brought down Reid in the area, but North produced an excellent double save to keep the scores down.

This sparked Wealdstone back into life and they notched a second two minutes after the penalty save when Jerome Okimo headed in Green’s corner, but it wasn’t enough to fully spark the comeback and the Stones had to settle for the loss.

Wealdstone are back at home this coming Saturday, welcoming struggling East Thurrock United.