Wealdstone secured their first home win since January on Saturday with a 1-0 at home to Chippenham Town in the National League South.

Stefan Brown scored the only goal of the game just past the half hour mark to keep his side in contention for a playoff spot.

The Stones almost took the lead within three minutes when Freddie grant lofted a through ball towards David Pratt, but after taking a touch on the edge of the area he could only blaze over.

Grant was then presented with an opportunity for himself to open the scoring, but he planted a header from Danny Green’s corner wide of the target.

Wealdstone were putting endless pressure on the visitors and, after Tarryn Allarakhia rattled a loose ball just wide, Brown broke the deadlock two minutes later when his left-footed drive cannoned in off the post and into the bottom corner.

Chippenham almost equalised in stunning fashion just before the break, but Nick McCootie’s audacious bicycle kick went agonisingly wide.

Both sides continued to come forward in the second half, Wealdstone keen to extend their advantage and Chippenham looking for a way back into the contest.

The visitors had two opportunities towards the start of the half, firstly when Will Richards could only head wide from a corner and then when top scorer Nat Jarvis sent a volley just wide of the post.

Wealdstone responded with two chances of their own but neither resulted in any major threat. Allarakhia was set free by Brown’s flick-on but he lost possession for he could get into his stride and a shot from the edge of the area by Pratt lacked sufficient power.

Soon after, McCootie was denied by a fabulous point blank save from North, and the same player then thought he’d levelled for his side before the referee pulled play back for a foul on the goalkeeper.

Josh Smile also had a late chance for the Bluebirds, but his volley from the edge of the area was off target and allowed Wealdstone to hang on to the single goal.

Victory takes the hosts to within a point of Billericay Town, who occupy the final playoff spot, ahead of this Saturday’s trip to league leaders Torquay United.