Wealdstone’s 11-game unbeaten run came to an end on Saturday against fellow National League South play-off rivals Welling United in a 3-1 home loss.

A first-half penalty from Daniel Green was cancelled out by a brace from Brendan Kiernan and a second-half strike from Gavin McCallum.

The Stones started well, enjoying the majority of the possession and dominating the opening 25 minutes, coming closest when Green rifled over from 25 yards.

Green also lifted a delightful ball into the box from a free-kick after Godfrey Poku was fouled but Welling keeper Dan Wilks did well to gather Stefan Brown’s glancing header.

Tarryn Allarakhia was proving to be a constant threat all afternoon for the Stones, and it was he who created the opportunity for the first goal, whipping in a teasing cross from the right that the referee judged to have been handled, and Green stepped up to blast Wealdstone into a deserved lead.

Against the run of play though, the visitors levelled in the 29th minute through Kieran, as he converted Bradley Goldber’s square ball.

The home side failed to take the momentum from their positive performance into the second half, and Welling took the lead within five minutes of the restart when Goldberg seized the ball and fired past Jonathan North.

With both sides pushing for the next goal, the game opened up and became more end-to-end, and the Stones went close on two occasions when Pratt headed agonisingly wide and when Freddie Grant’s header hit the post.

Wealdstone pressed harder in the final stages of the game as they searched for an equaliser, but they were left exposed at the back and Welling took advantage.

The visitors counter-attacked after a spell of Stones pressure broke down, and Kieran was on hand to fire his second past North and seal the points.

The loss leaves Wealdstone eighth in the table, one point outside the play-off places, and they face another tough test this Saturday when they travel to Twerton Park to face sixth-placed Bath City, with kick-off at 3pm.