Bobby Wilkinson admitted Wealdstone "deserved to lose" after they slipped to seventh in the National League South table following a 3-1 defeat at Chippenham Town on Saturday.

The hosts had more intensity to their game from the outset and led at half-time through a Kieran Parselle goal.

The visitors ramped up the pressure after the break but were punished for not taking their chances when Josh Smiles converted a penalty after being pulled back in the area.

Elliot Charles gave Stones late hope of salvaging a point but the final goal of the game was scored by Karnell Chambers as Town wrapped up the win to move level on points with their opponents.

Wilkinson said: “(It was a) very frustrating game, we deserved to lose. We have to stand up and be counted, it was a bad day at the office and we move on.

“I’m not happy with the manner (of the defeat) today but the boys have been brilliant all season. We didn’t turn up from the start. We will get back to the training park on Monday and not dwell on this because we have two big games coming up.”

The Stones boss made one change from the side which had won 1-0 at Hemel Hempstead Town, with Simon Mensah replacing Jake Sheppard.

But their hosts were clearly in the mood from the opening whistle and their first opportunity came when Chambers fed Natt Jarvis who fired over.

But the visitors were not so fortunate from Town's next chance as Parselle prodded home after the ball had broken loose from a corner.

Stones found opportunities hard to come by in the opening period and Wilkinson opted to make changes 10 minutes after the break as Fumnaya Shomotun and Charles were introduced.

The visitors began to intensify the pressure as Charles saw an effort cleared off the line before spurning a great chance to equalise when he flicked the ball over the line.

Those misses were to prove crucial as Smiles doubled Chippenham's lead from the penalty spot after being tugged back.

Wilkinson's side were not finished though, and after floating inside Shomotun played a pass into Charles, who fired home with two minutes remaining.

Danny Green had a free-kick with the hosts on the back foot, but a tackle led to Chambers racing forward and using Jarvis as a decoy to slot home for the win.