Bobby Wilkinson couldn’t hide his disappointment after Danny Mills popped up late on to earn Welling United a 1-1 draw with Wealdstone.

The Stones had lead for the majority of the game thanks to Connor Stevens’ first goal for the club and they seemed destined to close the gap on league leaders Billericay Town, only to drop two points late on through Mills’ last-gasp equaliser.

Wilkinson brought in Joe Payne on loan from Barnet in the run up to Saturday's game and the left-back made his first start against Welling.

The Stones took the lead just after the 20-minute mark when Payne played a one-two with Godfrey Poku and his cross was knocked into the path of Stevens, who expertly volleyed past Dan Wilks.

But Stevens was forced to leave the pitch due to a head injury before the end of the half, meaning Rhys Tyler had to fill in as a makeshift centre-back.

Wealdstone continued to cause problems though, and they would have doubled their advantage if it hadn't for a great save from Wilks, who expertly tipped over David Pratt’s rising volley.

The Ruislip-based side would, however, be punished for not adding a second, as former Stones man Montel Agyemang crossed for substitute Mills to poke home at the far post to earn Welling a share of the spoils.

Wilkinson told the club’s website: “It was disappointing not to win it given that the team played their hearts out. My team is being ripped apart through injuries but the team will keep fighting and keep working hard.

“We have battled with half a completed side but we haven’t complained. Glenn Wilson was a rock and one thing I’ve learned is that if we give everything, the fans will give us the support they did today. It’s a great point, I’m very proud of the boys.”

It has been a busy week on the pitch for Stones, who brought in former Torquay United right-back Christopher Regis on Monday and he made his debut the following night in the Middlesex Senior Cup, as Wilkinson's side recorded a 5-3 win over Uxbridge.

Wilkinson fielded a youthful team for that tie, with 16-year-old Luke Massingham captaining the team for the night, but Uxbridge threatened to cause an upset when they opened the scoring inside 90 seconds through James Burgess.

But that goal didn’t affect the Stones, who turned the game on its head inside six minutes thanks to strikes from youngster Femi Azeez and Elliot Charles.

Azeez then had an effort cleared off the line, while Charles struck the crossbar, before Anton Rodgers, son of Celtic manager Brendan, extended Wealdstone’s advantage with an excellent free-kick.

Jerome Slew made it four early in the second half but the Stones’ advantage was nearly wiped out when Uxbridge rallied, with Craig Tomkins converting a spot-kick and Zaine Gangedeen pouncing on a mistake from goalkeeper Sonny Wheeler to make it 4-3.

But any chances of an Uxbridge comeback were ended when Rodgers converted his second free-kick of the game to earn Wealdstone a spot in the third round.