Wealdstone ground out a narrow 2-1 victory over Hampton and Richmond in an entertaining encounter on Non-League Day to move up to fourth in National League South.

Goals from David Pratt and Bradley Bubb had put Stones 2-0 up on Saturday, before their opponents struck back in a dramatic first 15 minutes.

Although Hampton were reduced to 10 men on the hour, they threw everything at their hosts before the three points were finally secured.

Bobby Wilkinson made just the one change with Pratt replacing the injured Bradley Hudson-Odoi and his charges got off to a flying start.

Fumnaya Shomotun beat three players on a mazy run into the penalty area before getting a shot away and the ball found its way to Pratt, who headed in after just 90 seconds.

The hosts were dominant in the early stages, pinning Hampton back with Shomotun at the heart of the attacks.

The lead should have been doubled when Freddie Grant met a superbly-weighted pass in behind and was pulled to the ground by Casey Maclaren. Daniel Green took the resultant penalty but his spot-kick was brilliantly saved by Tom Lovelock.

The pressure was constant and Wealdstone’s fourth corner of the game was powerfully headed straight at Lovelock by Grant. Their fifth corner resulted in Lovelock scrambling, and Bubb flicking the ball home to give the home side a two-goal advantage.

There was no let-up though, and four minutes later Hampton had halved the deficit when a floated cross to the far post evaded everyone but Maclaren made up for conceding the penalty by getting on the scoresheet.

It was no surprise the pace then dropped after such a frenetic start, with the remainder of the opening period becoming more of a battle.

The second half began with caution from both sides, in complete contrast to the start of the first.

Hampton brought on Chris Dickson as a second striker, with captain Ricky Wellard making way.

The game appeared to swing more in Wealdstone’s favour when Maclaren was sent off for a bad tackle on Godfrey Poku.

This resulted in the away side bringing on striker Zak Joseph to desperately try for a second goal. An equaliser looked like it might follow but Stones’ defence stuck to the task.

Opportunities came in spells, with Dickson volleying straight at Jonathan North and Wealdstone attempting to kill the game on the counter attack. But a third goal was not required as Wilkinson’s side saw out the closing stages for a well-earned three points.