Miguel Britos completed 45 minutes as Watford Under-23s were beaten 2-1 by Charlton at Vicarage Road last night.

Having come on for Jose Holebas in the dying moments of Saturday’s 1-0 win over West Brom, the defender came through the outing for Watford’s junior side unscathed.

He has missed over three months of the season through injury and his return provides a timely boost for the Hornets as the season reaches its climax.

The Uruguayan was unable to help the Under-23s to a win under the lights at Vicarage Road, however, as the hosts allowed a two-goal lead to slip.

A fast start saw Watford rewarded with a ninth minute penalty after Michael Folivi picked up possession midway inside the Charlton half and played a perfect pass for Dennon Lewis.

The Watford man got to the ball just ahead of Ashley Maynard-Brewer in the Charlton goal and was taken out to win a spot kick.

The Watford man picked himself up and calmly sent the Charlton stopper the wrong way to give Watford an early advantage.

From then on the game settled into a far slower pace, with both sides doing well in possession but rarely threatening to find the net.

Britos went close to marking his outing with a goal when he got free at a free-kick and flicked Lewis’ cross straight at the Charlton stopper.

Sam Howes had to be alert at the other end of the second half when getting down low at his near post to save Lewis Page’s cross-shot.

Charlton came out with renewed impetus and were inches from drawing level five minutes into the second period.

Johnnie Jackson beat Howes with a placed effort but saw Randell Williams get back well to block the ball under his own crossbar.

Williams then showed his quality going forward to release Ryan Cassidy and he took a fine first touch before seeing his shot well blocked by a retreating Charlton defender.

The escape spurred Charlton to life in an attacking capacity and they were level soon after the hour mark.

Anfernee Dijksteel was the man to get the Athletic leveller, getting free at the back post and converting from a corner.

He would return to complete Charlton’s second half revival and leave Watford empty handed with seven minutes to play.

The Dutchman got up well to connect with Alfie Doughty’s cross and headed home after making the most of some slack marking.

David Sesay almost earned a share of the professional Development League points as he struck the bar late on but it wasn’t to be for Watford.

They will look to bounce back when they visit Ipswich next Monday.