Wealdstone’s hopes of reaching the Middlesex Senior Cup final ended in penalty shoot-out agony after an entertaining 3-3 draw with Staines Town at Grosvenor Vale last night.

Dan Fitchett gave the Stones an early lead before Sam Hatton, Elliott Buchanan and Max Worsfold put the visitors 3-1 ahead. Danny Green converted a penalty to halve the deficit before David Pratt's injury-time minute header sent the tie straight to penalties.

Stones had the chance to win the shoot-out but Connor Hudnott saved Matty Whichelow's effort to send it to sudden death. The keeper then saved Fitchett's penalty to secure a 6-5 victory and set up a final against Hendon or Barnet, who both play next week.

Bobby Wilkinson made four changes to the side that beat Truro City at the weekend. Ryan Sellers made his first start following a lengthy injury and a debut was handed to Bristol Rovers loanee Kunle Otudeko. Glenn Wilson and Fitchett also returned to the starting XI.

Wealdstone were quickly out of the blocks and Hudnott was forced into some early saves to deny Green and Otudeko. Jonathan North also had to be alert at the other end to thwart Worsfold from close range.

The Stones made the breakthrough after 11 minutes when Green whipped in a corner and the unmarked Fitchett had the easiest of tap-ins from six yards out.

Staines responded well though, and levelled from a well-worked short corner, the low cross deflected goalward forcing North into a quick reaction save but he tipped it into the path of Hatton, who slotted in.

And the Swans were ahead just five minutes later when Worsfold's cross was met by a well directed header from Buchanan which gave North no chance.

The visitors stayed in the ascendancy into the second half as well and added a third goal on 57 minutes. Mo Bettamer was given a clear run on goal after beating Wilson, his shot was parried by North into the path of Worsfold and he tapped into an empty net.

This prompted Wilkinson into making a double change with Whichelow and Mustafa Tiryaki introduced. The pair provided better service for the strikers and Stones had a penalty on 69 minutes after Pratt was shoved attempting to head in Whichelow's cross. Green converted despite Hudnott going the correct way.

Stones continued to pressure a resilient Staines backline and just when the game looked to be over they equalised.

Pratt headed in Green's free-kick in the third minute of injury time to send the tie to penalties, although there was still time for another chance but Jonathan Hippolyte struck straight at North.

Worsfold, Green, Lewis Driver, Sellers, Daniel Brown and Pratt all scored their penalties. Staines substitute Nathaniel Olawole was then denied by North, Tiryaki smashed his into the top corner to put Wealdstone 4-3 ahead.

Tyrell Miller-Rodney then scored his penalty to keep Staines in the tie before Hudnott saved Whichelow's effort to send the shoot-out to sudden death.

Tom Gilbey, Sam Cox and Wadah Ahmidi all scored before Hudnott again proved to be the hero, saving Fitchett's effort.

League leaders Dartford are Wealdstone's next opponents at the Vale on Saturday at 3PM.

Wealdstone: North, Johnson-Schuster, Sellers, Gayle (Day 70), Wilson, Cox, Allen (Whichelow 58), Fitchett, Pratt, Green, Otudeko (Tiryaki 58). Subs not used: Goodger, Artwell.