A tealight candle destroyed part of the first floor of a home after a fire broke out.

Firefighters were called to Cumberland Road in Harrow yesterday (December 5) just after 10am as flames were seen at a semi-detached house.

There were 25 firefighters with four fire engines who attended as the first floor of the house was alight.

The fire was then under control by 11.20am.

The London Fire Brigade believe that tealight candles at the house was the cause of the fire, and a warning has been issued for people to be more aware of candle safety.

A London Fire Brigade spokesperson said: "Candles are one of the most common causes of fires in the home and you should be careful when using them.

“It’s really important that you never leave them unattended and keep them away from anything that could catch fire such as curtains, furniture or clothes.

"We recommend swapping traditional candles for LED flameless ones as they are much safer, but if you do use real candles, follow our simple safety tips."

Specific advice issued to prevent fires caused by candles include:

• Make sure you put out any candles, incense and oil burners when you leave the room and especially before bed.

• These items should always be held firmly in heat-resistant holders and placed on a stable surface where they won’t be knocked over.

• Keep them away from materials that might catch fire – that's things like curtains, furniture, clothes and hair.

• Be aware that tea lights get very hot and without proper holders can melt through plastic surfaces like a TV or bath

To avoid accidents keep candles and other naked flames out of reach of children and pets.