Four fire engines and around 25 firefighters were called to a house fire yesterday evening in North Harrow.

Part of the first floor of a semi-detached house in Cambridge Road was damaged by the fire - which was believed to have been accidental and caused by a tea light candle.

Two adults and a child left the building before the Brigade arrived and were assessed on scene by London Ambulance Service crews for smoke inhalation.

A London Fire Brigade spokesperson said: "Candles are one of the most common causes of fire.

"It’s really important that you never leave a candle unattended and keep them away from curtains and anything else that can easily catch fire.

"They should always be kept in a sturdy fire-resistant candleholder.

"You could consider swapping your traditional candles for safer, LED flameless ones.”

The Brigade was called at 6.49pm and the fire was under control by 7.25pm.

Fire crews from Harrow, Northolt, Wembley and Stanmore fire stations attended the scene.