Two students have been convicted in Pakistan of the murder of a "devoted" politician and father stabbed to death in Edgware 10 years ago.

Dr Imran Farooq, 50, was brutally stabbed outside his house in Edgware on his way home from work in a suspected political assassination.

The senior Pakistani politician was approached and attacked by two men armed with knives and a brick in September 2010.

Ten years on Mohsin Ali Syed, 35, was found guilty of murder and conspiracy to murder Dr Farooq following a trial in Islamabad and sentenced to life imprisonment in Pakistan.

Muhammad Kashif Khan Kamran, 40, was convicted in absentia of murder, and remains wanted by Pakistani authorities.

Harrow Times:

Police outside the home in Edgware (Photo: SWNS)

Met Police enquiries revealed Syed and Kamran, both Pakistani nationals, were connected to the Muttahida Qaumi Movement (MQM) Party – which Dr Farooq was involved in.

This confirmed the investigation team’s suspicion that the murder had likely been politically-motivated, given Dr Farooq had been suspended from the party at the time of his death.

His widow Shumaila Imran Farooq thanked the British and Pakistani authorities for supporting the case and said her husband's name will live on.

She said: "The name of Dr Imran Farooq will live forever. He was a true patriot of Pakistan and a hero of the MQM.

Harrow Times:

Police outside the home in Edgware (Photo: SWNS)

"He was a devoted husband, father, son and brother and I am proud of being his widow.

"My husband struggled day and night for the destitute of society. He fulfilled his duties as a politician to his best ability and his name will live forever.

"He faced countless difficulties, but he did not step back from his principles. This may be the reason behind his murder."

She added: "I am pleased that those held responsible for his murder will spend the remainder of their lives in prison.

"Here in Britain, the Metropolitan Police has helped me a lot and I thank all the British and Pakistani authorities involved for supporting this case in Pakistan.

"They did not give up their efforts until the case was brought to an end."

Detectives sifted through thousands of hours of CCTV, spoke with more than 4,000 witnesses and collected more than 4,500 exhibits as part of the investigation which led to them identifying the two men.

Commander Richard Smith, head of the Met’s Counter Terrorism Command, said: “I am pleased that one of the men we identified as being responsible for the murder of Dr Imran Farooq has finally been brought to justice.

“This outcome would not have been possible were it not for the incredible dedication, skill and determination of the investigation team, who for almost ten years, have never given up in their pursuit of his killers.

“I would also like to pay tribute to Dr Imran Farooq’s widow and his family, who have shown tremendous dignity, strength and patience as we have gone about our investigation.”

The first breakthrough came when officers spotted a man who seemed to be watching Dr Farooq when he used a cashpoint on the morning of his death.

Harrow Times:

Police outside the home in Edgware (Photo: SWNS)

The same man, who wore a distinctive cap, then used this cashpoint shortly after outside a Barclays bank in Edgware, while CCTV showed him running in the direction of Dr Farooq’s home after the murder.

He was found to be of Mohsin Ali Syed, registered to an address in Stanmore.

His landlord said he gave Syed permission for a friend called “Karman” to stay at his flat two weeks before the murder, and Syed was reported missing on September 29

Further investigation revealed CCTV footage of two men, believed to be Syed and Kamran, together on September 14.

Syed was also seen purchasing a pack of knives from a local 99p store which matched those recovered from the murder scene.

Forensics discovered a partial thumb print, which had been found on a knife hidden in a bush near Dr Farooq's home, and matched the print on Syed's UK student via application.

Harrow Times:

Dr Imran Farooq (Photo: SWNS)

In May 2014, police announced they were wanted in connection with the murder, but officers believed the pair were likely still in Pakistan.

In June 2015, Pakistani authorities confirmed to British authorities that they had arrested three men in connection with the murder, one of whom was Syed.

Officers from the Met’s Counter Terrorism Command travelled to Pakistan in July and September 2015 to interview the men as part of the ongoing investigation.

On their return, officers presented their findings to the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) and charges against Syed were authorised, although he remained in custody in Pakistan.

Three men in custody in Pakistan, including Syed, were subsequently charged by Pakistani authorities in connection with the murder of Dr Farooq.

Pakistani authorities and a temporary change to Pakistani law assured that the death penalty would not be imposed in this case.

In August 2019, UK authorities provided evidence from their investigation to the Pakistani authorities to assist in their prosecution of Syed and Kamran.

The trial continued throughout late 2019, and early 2020 and officers from the investigation team attended court in Pakistan to give evidence and provide details of the Met’s investigation into the murder.

A number of UK-based witnesses also gave evidence during the trial in Pakistan via videolink from Hendon Magistrates’ Court.

Christian Turner, the UK’s High Commissioner to Pakistan, said: “Today’s conviction marks a team effort between law agencies in the UK and Pakistan working together to get justice for the murder of Dr Imran Farooq.

“This ground-breaking legal collaboration meant that evidence gathered by the British police could be shared with Pakistani prosecutors and used in the successful prosecution of Mohsin Ali Syed.”

As part of the Pakistani prosecution, a number of other individuals were also convicted of conspiracy to murder Dr Farooq.