One of the killers of a schoolboy 20 years ago has been jailed  after driving into a police officer.

Ricky Preddie, 32, of Daintry Close, Harrow, left an officer with serious injuries after reversing at her to avoid being stopped last year.

The defendant, also known as Ricky Johnson, was 13 and his brother 12 when they killed 10-year-old Damilola Taylor in November 2000.

The pair were jailed for eight years for Damilola's manslaughter in 2006.

At Harrow Crown Court on Thursday (February 20) Preddie was jailed for four years after pleading guilty to causing serious injury by dangerous driving; driving whilst disqualified; failing to stop; and driving without insurance.

Preddie was also banned from driving for 12 years, which will start when he is released from jail.

He was driving an Alfa Romeo in Wembley, north London, when police tried to stop his car on the afternoon of November 6 last year.

Preddie stopped the car but reversed along the pavement before crashing into a police vehicle, causing leg and neck injuries to a Pc who was getting out.

He made his escape but the car was found nearby shortly after and he was arrested on November 12.

Detective Superintendent Ray Keating said: "In escaping from officers who had pulled him over, Johnson's driving was extremely reckless and resulted in an officer being seriously injured.

"He then drove off from the scene, callously leaving the officer needing urgent medical attention.

"The officer has since returned to full duties, and I would like to commend her courage and strength since the incident.

"While she has recovered physically, the incident has taken an emotional and psychological toll.

"Sadly, officers are injured whilst protecting the public far too often."

Damilola had moved to Britain from Nigeria a few months before he was jabbed in the thigh with a broken beer bottle by a gang of youths as he walked home from the local library after school.

The youngster was found bleeding to death in a stairwell near his home in Peckham, south London, where local workmen tried to save his life.