Parents of Streatham terrorist say they did not know son was radicalised

The parents of the terrorist who stabbed two people in Streatham have spoken out about the final moments they spoke to their son before the Streatham attack

The parents of a terrorist who stabbed two people in Streatham have opened up about their last moments with their son.

Sudesh Amman, 20, who grew up in Harrow, was shot dead by police after launching his attack on Streatham High Road at around 2pm on Sunday (February 2).

The convicted terrorist studied at Park High School in Stanmore from 2011 to 2016, and attended the College of North West London until May 2018.

Mother Haleema Faraz Khan told Sky News she spoke to Amman on the phone hours before the stabbing and said she believes he was radicalised when he was in prison.

However, she said she “had a feeling” that Amman was responsible when she saw the news of an incident at south London.

Meanwhile, father Faraz Khan spoke to his son on the phone just a day before the attack. But he said he did not know he had become radicalised.

He said their talk involved reciting the Quran and he did not expect Amman to go through the lengths that he did.

In December 2018, Amman was jailed for three years and four months for possessing and distributing terrorist documents. He was released last month and was put under surveillance.

Three people were taken to a hospital in south London after the attack. The two stabbing victims were a woman in her 50s and a man in his 40s.

The man was initially considered to be in a life-threatening condition but has since recovered.

Amman was found carrying a hoax explosive device on his body and was shot dead by armed officers.

Isis later released a statement on its propaganda channels that the attack was carried out by an Isis soldier.

The government are now aiming to introduce emergency legislation that will stop terrorists being automatically freed from prison halfway through their sentence and have stricter rules set before release.

Justice Secretary Robert Buckland told the House of Commons on Monday: "Yesterday's appalling incident makes the case plainly for immediate action.

"We cannot have the situation, as we saw tragically in yesterday's case, where an offender - a known risk to innocent members of the public - is released early by automatic process of law without any oversight by the Parole Board.

"We will be doing everything we can to protect the public, that is our primary duty.

"We will, therefore, introduce emergency legislation to ensure an end to terrorist offenders getting released automatically having served half of their sentence with no check or review."

Investigations continue with officers also searching two addresses in south London and Bishop's Stortford, Hertfordshire.