Shocked neighbours say two men killed by a suspected carbon monoxide leak in a house had only moved in a few weeks ago.

Detectives and the Health and Safety Executive are conducting inquiries into the deaths of the men found unresponsive at a home in Bacon Lane, Edgware at 1.30pm yesterday.

They were aged 35 and 42-years-old. 

Five other people at the home, including two young boys, were also taken to hospital as a precaution.

The deaths are currently being treated as “unexplained” until post-mortem examinations are concluded - though police have confirmed there may have been a carbon monoxide leak.

The other occupants have now been discharged from hospital. 

Next door neighbours were also evacuated but have since been able to return home.

Manjula Vekaria, 38, who lives opposite the house said: “It came as a great shock to everyone, they only moved in a few weeks ago. 

“We were all home and saw ambulances, fire engines and police cars line up. Our friend popped out to see what was happening and was told to go back inside. 

“He said he could smell the gas in the street. I am surprised, there was so many people living there and no one smelled it. It’s shocking.” 

Another neighbour, who lives next door but did not want to be named, said: “I went to the window upstairs and saw four ambulances, they had oxygen containers. They checked me over and I had to leave the house for a couple of hours.

“I am having my home checked for gas today. I just can’t believe it.”

No arrests have been made in connection with the incident.