A mum has slammed a Harrow takeaway after her father found staples lodged in his food.

When Karishma Halai was visited by her family yesterday she needed to provide them with a quick meal.

The 22-year-old, of Honeypot Lane, ordered food from Indian food specialist Everest Spice the Honeypot, which is in her street, including a crispy potato bhajia.

Her whole family settled down to eat. But when Miss Halai’s father Naran Halai, 52, of Vernon Drive, took a bite out of a crispy bhajia he cried out in pain.

Miss Halai said: “My dad went, ‘ow, ow!’ He spat out the bhajia and there were all these staples in it.

“There must have been 12 staples in there and that was just in the one piece.”

Mr Halai hurt the inside of his mouth and a tooth but did not go to hospital.

Her 16-month-old son Kai was eating a bhajia at the time. Luckily it had no staples in it, but Miss Halai said she was left terrified after the grim discovery.

She said: “I could have easily given my son the one with the staples in it. If he’d eaten them I would have been absolutely disgusted.

“I don’t want to think about it. I can imagine looking at my son and worrying so much. I would have been absolutely horrified.”

Her brother, Bhavesh Halai, 30, and her fiancé Jonathan Peacock, 42, went to complain at the restaurant.

Miss Halai said: “The manager wasn’t apologetic about the situation, he was acting nonchalant as if it was an everyday occurrence and was nothing serious. I think it is appalling.

“At the end of the day that is metal in your food, that’s crazy! They said, ‘you know what, accidents happen’.”

The restaurant manager offered Miss Halai’s family full refund as well as a free meal with free drinks as an apology for the staples.

The restaurant has a four out of five hygiene rating and was last inspected on August 19, 2017. It has a 3.5 star rating on TripAdvisor.

Everest Spice the Honeypot’s manager, Krishna Bhattarai, confirmed he had apologised to Miss Halai’s fiancé and that he had offered a refund. He also confirmed there was a stapler near where the food was prepared.