Wealdstone extended their winless away record to seven matches on Tuesday night – a streak which takes them back to November - as they went down 2-0 at Canvey Island.

Gordon Bartlett was able to call upon his two new additions, with former Canadian Under-20 and Under-23 international midfielder Elliott Godfrey – signed on transfer deadline day after his release by Conference South side Staines Town – and former Margate defender Michael Alaile both included in the starting 11.

Wealdstone had the first chance of the game after five minutes when Chris Moore laid up Alex Dyer whose 20-yard effort was beaten away by former Stones’ goalkeeper Ashlee Jones.

Debutant Godfrey was next to come close for Stones on the quarter hour mark; the former Staines man curling a 25-yard free-kick over the bar after Lee Chappell had been brought down.

Canvey had their first chance of the evening a minute later when Bradley Woods-Garness burst into the box only for Rikki Banks to deny him.

The opener came on 33 minutes when Ashley Dumas swung over a free-kick from the left-hand side which Banks could only fumble with Richard Orlu on-hand to slam home.

Stones did create a chance on the stroke of half-time, with Esmond James embarking on a jinking run into the box before he was thwarted by a superb one-handed save by Jones.

The hosts came close to a second after the restart with Woods-Garness hitting a shot from 20 yards which Banks saved low to his left and Chatting crashing an effort against the bar with the follow-up.

Bartlett’s men had their best chance of the half on 61 minutes; Dyer threading an inch-perfect ball through to Moore who found himself one-on-one, Jones again equal to the effort.

Canvey doubled their lead on 66 minutes when Dumas swung over a corner which was cleverly flicked on by Rickie Hayles into the path of Orlu who was able to fire home his second.

Only fine ‘keeping from Banks kept the score down as Stones’ number one denied Jay Curran and Woods-Garness before the end.

Further defensive chaos nearly handed Canvey a third goal as Curran screwed his effort wide with Banks left stranded in no-man’s land.

Next up for Wealdstone is a trip to fierce rivals Enfield Town on Saturday.