Thousands of rubbish bins are being “left to fester” in summer heat due to strike action, says the leader of the council's opposition.
On Thursday last week more than 600 staff from Harrow Borough Council walked out as part of a national public sector strike.
As a result, bin collections for the borough were severely affected, with many households not having their waste collected.
Harrow Council says there will be no extra replacement collections and people will have to wait up to three weeks to have some waste removed.
Leader of the Conservative group Councillor Susan Hall said: “We’re not talking about just few bins here, but nearly 20,000 of them which are likely full, and which are going to be left to fester for a fortnight in the summer heat.
“Labour’s endorsement of this strike has left Harrow exposed to more industrial action in the future, with unions thinking they can get away with it.
“It’s our residents who are, quite literally in some cases, being left to clean up the mess.”
Cllr Hall, who spoke out against the strikes last week, has attacked Labour leader of the council Councillor David Perry for his support of the industrial action.
She said: “By backing the strikes, Cllr Perry and his Labour Group made it clear they are not on the side of Harrow’s residents, and gave free rein to their union friends to cause chaos.
“It’s quite clear Labour owes Harrow residents an apology for making an already bad situation even worse.”
In the run up to the Thursday’s walk out, Cllr Perry said the council’s Labour administration recognised the union’s right to strike.
Members of public sector unions Unison, GMB, Unite, the NUT and the FBU from across the country joined in the day of action in the dispute over pay.
Was your rubbish not collected because of the strike? Get in contact with the Harrow Times by calling 07824 530112 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org