Get involved: send your pictures, video, news & views by texting Harrow Times to 80360, or email us
Chennai Masala restaurant fined for having fixtures, fittings and surfaces encrusted with dirt and grime
A Rayners Lane restaurant investigated after a food poisoning case has been fined £7,000 for having “very poor” health and safety standards.
Chennai Masala, of Alexandra Avenue, had fixtures and fittings that were encrusted with dirt and grime, areas for preparing food were dirty and stained, and large amounts of food were not refrigerated to keep it fresh.
The restaurant, which also catered for large functions and local businesses, did not have enough hand washing facilities and dirty kitchen utensils were found stored with clean ones.
Harrow Borough Council‘s environmental health team investigated the establishment after it was implicated in two incidents of suspected food poisoning in February last year.
As well as hygiene problems, officers found that staff had to operate grinding equipment that exposed them to dangerous, fast moving parts..
Owner Selvarajah Thiruarulselvan pleaded guilty to eight counts of food hygiene and health and safety breaches at Willesden Magistrates’ Court on March 5.
He was fined a total of £7,000 - £130 for each count - plus a fine against his company of £300 per count, and court costs of £3,500.
The magistrates told Mr Thiruarulselvan that someone who owns a food business owes a duty of care to customers and staff and that customers who are paying for something trust that food will be prepared safely and in a hygienic manner.
The restaurant has been reopened after the required works were carried out but continues to be monitored by the authorities.