Get involved: send your pictures, video & news by texting Harrow Times to 80360, or upload here
RECIPE: Pirates' fish soup
Serves 6. Preparation time: 45 mins Cooking time: 20 mins
• 500 g (1lb 2oz) mussels, cleaned
• 300g (11oz) clams, cleaned
• 1 red bell pepper, seeded and sliced
• 1 green bell pepper, seeded and sliced
• 2 dried chillies, crumbled
• 4 garlic cloves, chopped
• 1 bunch fresh mixed herbs, such as thyme, basil, sage and chives, chopped
• 100ml olive oil
• 200ml red wine
• 300g (11oz) octopus, cleaned
• 300g (11oz) cuttlefish and cleaned
• 300 g (11 oz) baby octopus, cleaned
• 100 ml white rum
Place a cup of water in a large saucepan and bring to the boil. Place clams and mussels in a colander over the boiling water.
Steam clams and mussels until shells open.
Remove shellfish as they open and set aside. Cover with foil and reserve the cooking liquid. Put bell peppers and olive oil in a flameproof casserole (Dutch oven) and cook, over medium-low heat for eight minutes.
Add dried chilies and garlic and cook for two minutes. Add wine, bring to simmer. Stir in octopus and squid. Cook until pieces turn opaque. Add the rum, reserved steaming liquid (minus grit) from the cup, clams and the mussels to the casserole. Sprinkle with black pepper and herbs. Ladle into bowls and serve.